The Smith House is a grand Colonial Revival style heritage home commissioned in 1905 and completed in 1908 by Samuel Cameron Smith, one of Vernon’s early and prominent residents. S.C. Smith owned several sawmills in the area and for many years was Vernon’s largest employer. His sash and door factory produced 17,000 doors in 1894. At the time, the house cost $13,000 to build and its ornate interior finishes another $12,000. Features include original stained glass windows, hardwood doors and paneling, decorative spindle work, ladies’ and gentlemen’s parlors with fireplaces, conservatory and third floor ballroom with sprung wood floor and orchestra alcove.
Members of the Smith family lived in the house almost continuously until 1956, when the house was sold to the Roman Catholic Church. It became a convent for the Sisters of St. Anne, who taught at St. James Catholic School. In 1981, the house was purchased by the City of Vernon, used as headquarters for the B.C. Summer Games, and then sold to the Vernon Community Music School. The Smith House was designated a municipal heritage building in 1982. In 2000, the original Carriage House on site was completely renovated and restored.
City of Vernon heritage register.
(The Smth house is on pages 48 and 49)